Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Canadian Road Trip Part 1





I've been in travelling in Canada since last Wednesday with Petra and Emma. Mexicana Airlines is flying between Mexico City and Edmonton and we took advantage of the reasonably priced tickets to visit friends and relatives. We only spent 36 hours in Edmonton so we were a little rushed. I was fortunate that my former head deacon Ed picked me up at the airport and took me over to the car rental location. He's a guy with a servant's heart and has always been the guy I could lean on for the right advice in any situation. One time when Ed and his wife Deb spoke at a pastors' retreat on Deacon Leadership, a pastor asked me where I found this guy. I said, "in my church." The guy said to me he wished his deacons were as progressive and insightful as my deacon. He then, jokingly, offered me a quarter section of land for him. I un-jokingly declined the offer. The following morning we went to Ed and Deb's house for breakfast and a good talk and to cap it all off, we did a little gopher shooting. Oh how I miss my guns! From there we went to the family farm near Trochu, my wife's home town, where I did some repairs on our 40' sea container that has some of our earthly possessions. Oh how I miss the farm and its wide open spaces! I was then off to Lacombe where my sister lives and our kids had a great time playing with the Wii which is an interesting interactive video game unit. After a visit to the doctor we were off to the airport for our flight to the Mother - Land...Vancouver. Oh how I miss that city! Part 2 tomorrow.

No comments: