Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Que Preciosa - How Precious


We're having a great time waiting during our Bible studies here in Mexico City! The Mexicans who are studying aren't seasoned Christians who know their way around a Bible. They begin looking for Revelation at the front of the Bible and often locate the "wrong" book of John (there are four to choose from). We really don't mind waiting a bit while they search and with a little direction, eventually find the passage we're reading.

Yesterday, a new lady came to the ladies' Bible study. At the end of our study, she kindly offered to read aloud the closing passage of our study for the day, Psalm 139. "Psalm 139. One. O Lord, You have searched me and known me. Two. You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thoughts from afar. Three. You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways." I smiled as she carefully read each verse number as she went along. Verses 21 and 22 brought nervous giggles from several ladies. "Do I not hate those who hate You, O Lord? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred; I count them my enemies."

At the end of the chapter, various ladies all chattered, "Oooh, que preciosa! Que linda!" - "Oooh, how precious! How beautiful!" They loved this chapter! I was further amazed to see three ladies all start searching back in the passage and then one read, "This is my favorite: verse 14. 'I will praise You for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.' Did you hear that? 'And that my SOUL knows very well.'" They were immediately drawn to the most famous verse of the chapter without the leaders pointing this out to them. It spoke to their souls.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your camera! Ours is a Sony H-2 and we LOVE it. Our only complaint is that is doesn't do great on indoor photos, but otherwise it is fantastic and apparently they have several newer models out now, too!