Monday, May 12, 2008

Out and About



We were quite surprised when the embassy called us to let us know that Ahava's passport was ready. We only submitted it a week and a half before. I feel ashamed that I used to complain that Canadian government bureaucracy was slow and inefficient. After almost a year in Mexico, I feel quite differently. So it was off to the embassy (bottom picture) today to get the little one's passport with the words inside the passport saying "Issuing Office: Mexico City". We took the bus from our home since it is far less stressful than driving in this traffic and walked a small distance. The embassy is right beside Chapultapec Park and very close to the anthropology museum. From there it was back on the bus. We had a quick lunch at McDonald's (I really don't like that restaurant and that burger: I had called the McNasty A.K.A. McTasty). Just outside the McDonald's and slightly to the north is a building called Torre Arbol or Tree Tower (top picture). You may notice from the picture that half way up the building is a tree that is sticking out. The story I heard was that the Jewish man that had the building constructed instructed that upon his death, he should be buried in a tomb where the tree is. I have not verified this but I suppose it is plausible.

No comments: