Monday, July 30, 2007

What kind of snake is this?



What kind of snake is this? Our camp caretakers, Juan and Carolina found this snake about two weeks ago. They described it as a "field snake" but that could be anything. They could not tell me a specific breed. They said it is venomous but not deadly and that adult snakes, which get up to one meter long, are often found under the Nopale Cacti. This one was only five or six inches long. If anybody knows specifically what kind of snake this is, let me know.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Mitchells,

I'm not certain, but it looks like your mystery snake may be a Mexican Yellow Bellied Brown Snake - storeria hidalgoensis. As near as I can tell, not being a professional herpetologist.

I found that the photo on this site - scroll down to "Storeria dekayi - Brown Snake" under "COLUBRIDAE (colubrid snakes)" - seemed to look a lot like your picture.

I hope this helps.

Pastor B

MexicoMitchells said...

I think you are correct my friend. The pattern of the snake in the photos that you found seem to be the same. Thanks for finding what we could not. I crused the internet for about two hours trying find some evidence of what it could be. I'll be studying about this little critter some more.
Marcel

MexicoMitchells said...

I think you are correct my friend. The pattern of the snake in the photos that you found seem to be the same. Thanks for finding what we could not. I searched the internet for about two hours trying to find some evidence of what it could be. I'll be studying about this little critter some more.
Marcel

Tim B said...

It is definitely not a Storeria sp., but instead a Conopsis sp. In what region was it found? It is hard to tell which species it is without some geographic data. It also has something odd going on with it's scales...perhaps it was roughed up or trapped in an extremely moist environment for an extended period of time...