Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Day at the Orphanage









Today we went as a family to Casa Hogar San Francisco, an orphanage, in Reynosa, T.F., México. This orphanage has about 80 children from 2 months of age to 17 years, some of which are mentally and physically handicapped. To our surprise, there are many children at this orphanage who do have parents. These children live in the orphanage because both of their parents are working and trying to make a living. On the weekends, some of the children are picked up by their parents and taken home. Of course, there are children without parents as well. This weekend, about 40 children had not been picked up by anyone and they were still at the orphanage.
Our daughter, Petra, was enlisted to be one of the clowns. It was hot wearing that costume in the sun but she enjoyed her new role as "Lulu". Five students and two women on staff from Rio Grande Bible Institute and Language School did a terrific program for the children. They did action songs, two puppet plays, a skit, a memory verse, and a strong evangelistic message. The theme of the program was being spiritually prepared because people of all ages die, sometimes even children. The children were so well-behaved and attentive. We finished with two piñatas, cupcakes, and soda pop (pineapple flavor). Not a bit of pushing or grabbing, just politely waiting in line for their turn. I let about 5 little girls take a few pictures with our camera. It was a little risky but were they thrilled! When it was time for us to go, only a couple of the children said goodbye and gave us a hug. The majority became sad, looked at the ground, and slowly walked away.
Driving back across the bridge to the United States, we remembered the statistic for Mexico City: 600,000 street children. Even if that is inaccurate by 100,000 or 200,000, there are still more street children in Mexico City than there are people populating various large cities. Please pray for the children in all parts of Mexico. About 25-30 accepted Christ today in Reynosa! Their discipleship will continue through the ministry of RGBI in the coming school year.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been to this orphanage once on a mission trip with my church. This summer my church will be sending another groupe.I love all the orphans but,I have msde one friend down there his name is Fidel he is about 16 or 17.I write to him alot. I am hoping to go back soon. My email is mariahjabo@hotmail.com

Kathy said...

Hi, my name is Kathy..
I live a long time there because my mom works there for 19 years, mi mom still works there...

I thank you for sharing your love with them...

God bless you for the work that you do...

My English is not very good but I hope it is understood..
my email is sokittyblue@hotmail.com